17 July 2008

Great Scandinavian Road Trip: Day 12: Finally Finland

Today started off by visiting a park. The park was supposed to contain various displays relating to Sami culture. Mostly it contained mosquitoes. I think the repellent was working, but there were so many of them that they couldn't help but land on me. I didn't stay long.

From there I entered Finland. This is what Finland looks like (at least what I've seen so far)

There were also plenty of reindeer to be found.


My first stop was a Sami museum in Inari. It was much better than the ones in Norway, it had extensive displays and a larger open air section. It was quite good. Then it was south to Rovaniemi. Just before Rovaniemi, I crossed back south of the Arctic Circle again. The location was much less dramatic than Norway; woods, a gas station, and a christmas-themed shopping village. I didn't even bother to stop. In Rovaniemi, I visited the musuem about the arctic, also a large and good museum. The other important thing, the mosquito problem has reduced to the point where the repellent can keep the bites down to an acceptable level. In the museum, it mentioned that reindeer can suffer life-threatening amounts of blood loss due to bites. That's a lot of mosquitoes.

The pictures are here.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, a reindeer jam! But I guess there weren't gobs of tourists around to create a mile-long backup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home