10 July 2008

Great Scandinavian Road Trip: Day 5

Today was a pretty easy day aided by good weather. It started by visiting the glaciers just outside Fjaerland. I'm sure that at some point they were proper glaciers, but today they were just piles of ice at the bottom of a cliff with the real glacier somewhere up above.

Next stop was the Briksdalbreen glacier. There's a little bit of a hike involved to get to it, but it's a more proper glacier.



From there I took the old mountain road over the mountain (instead of through the new tunnel) to Geiranger. The road went through some really beautiful scenery, with greens and blues, and whites popping out boldly. There was also a ski resort that still had people skiing at it.



Lastly it was to Dalsnibba, which I guess is a bit like a Norwegian Pikes Peak. It's a steep twisting, mostly dirt road up to the top of a mountain that gives you a clear view in all directions. It was definitely worth the drive and the toll.



Then down into Geiranger proper. The village doesn't inspire me much. It's filled with campers and tour buses and hotels catering to people in tour buses. I don't think you'd want to spend much time in the village itself. I did have another surprise with the hotel. I booked a single (meaning cheap) room. When I checked in, the girl at reception was a little surprised it was just me staying. It turns out the room has a dining table that seats 10, two sitting areas, two bathrooms, a balcony, more windows than I can count, and a bathroom with TV and bathtub for two.


I've never actually seen a purpose built bathtub for two in person before. Though I'm not sure what good having the TV over the toilet does... So I guess my luck on this trip is a bit of a mixed bag. I guess that just keeps it all interesting.

Pictures are here.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

So does a "proper glacier" drink tea and speak the Queen's English?

I guess Norwegians like to party.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home