13 July 2008

Great Scandinavian Road Trip: Day 8: Jax drives across Arctic Circle

Today was mostly another transfer between places day. There was a brief (too brief) stop at the Svartisen glacier, which I could only see off in the distance because I had to catch the next ferry otherwise I;d be stuck there for 3 hours. The highlight of the day, and half the purpose of the whole trip, was driving across the Arctic Circle. Now, I know I've been north of the circle before, but there's something about being able to say that you've driven to the Arctic Circle and beyond that seems kinda cool. Where the Arctic Circle crosses through Norway is a bleak and desolate plateau with patches of snow around. That seems quite appropriate. Two things, however, surprised me: first, that the visitor center/monument didn't seem to be on what my GPS thought was circle, or on the rounded off latitude they referred to as the circle. We're only talking about a few hundred meters though. The second surprising thing was the amount of traffic. There is only one road in the area and it is the main north-south road to the north of Norway, so it was actually quite busy. I had visions of not seeing any cars for hours at a time, not so.




The pics are here.

1 Comments:

At 9:09 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

Again, showing off. We have the 45th Parallel here, so that's something, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home