26 August 2009

Iceland: Day 6

There was not much of a plan for this day as it was mainly a transit day to get me from the parks from the last two days near Akureyri, down to the glaciers that are the next big objective. Iceland is not a small island. During my planning for this trip, I became even more aware of that fact. Now that I am actually here, I am acutely aware of it. Even having allowed for extra travel time, the distances between places are still greater than I had expected. Egilsstadir, where I started this day, is 300km from the glaciers I want to see tomorrow, and is 700km from Reykjavik (by paved road). These are non-trivial distances. Having done volcanoes, deserts, hot springs, and the like, I decided to take a day to see some different scenery. I decided to stick to the coast and drive up and down the fjords of the eastern part of the country. They are quite nice, and very like Norway. Unfortunately, the weather decided to be very rainy, limiting the number of useful picture opportunities.

The highlight of the was Seydisfjordur. It is not really a major tourist town, except that it is the major ferry port. But, the town had a captivating character with lots of colorful and well kept houses, and an old boat that I took way too many pictures of.
From East Fjords
From East Fjords

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home