28 July 2009

Chamonix

After leaving Grenoble, I headed to Chamonix. You hear about Chamonix quite a lot, so I figured I ought to check it out while I was in the area. The town itself did not inspire me very much, but the scenery surrounding is certainly quite good. I took the cable car up the Aiguille du Midi,
From Chamonix
which is right next to Mont Blanc, and brings you about 1000m below it. The cable car to get up there is probably the steepest cable car I have ever been on. It was a little disconcerting looking at the tiny cable holding such a big car so high above the ground. The view from the top was excellent with lots of other peaks and glaciers.
From Chamonix


From there, I took another cable car across into Italy. This gave a really good view over the glacier.
From Chamonix


After that, I took the cog train up to the Mer du Glace. This is the bottom of the same glacier that was seen up on the Aiguille du Midi.
From Chamonix


After Chamonix, off to Switzerland.

1 Comments:

At 2:31 am, Blogger Sarah said...

You're just going all over the place. Is there anywhere in Europe you haven't been? Did you get a new wide-angle for your camera?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home