11 April 2009

Easter in Tuscany: Pisa

After Florence, the next stop was Pisa. This turned into the day when nothing went right. First, I stopped in the morning at a small, little town that seemed deserted. However, the one inhabitant was the guy who writes the parking tickets. I thought the sign said parking was free, I guess my italian isn't perfect. When I arrived in Pisa, there was a group of guys hanging around the parking lot offering to make sure nothing bad happened to my car in exchange for 5eur. Don't you just love a little protection racket in the morning? After I left Pisa, I got a phone call from the hotel (I was switching hotels that day) saying that they had a problem and had no electricity or water and if I would mind switching to another hotel they suggested. Since it was afternoon and I was in the car, I didn't have much choice but to say yes. When I got there, I found there was a carnival going on nextdoor. Fortunately, the hotel turned out to be ok, but that was about the limit of good things that happened that day.

In Pisa, naturally I saw the cathedral and the Torre Pendente, or leaning tower as we call it.
From Pisa


The walk to the top was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The marble was a little slick, though, so I could imagine it not being much fun in the rain. And, of course, the view from the top.
From Pisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home