04 May 2008

Ireland: Day 9, The End

The main objective of the last day in Ireland was to drive from Galway back down to Cork whence my plane was departing. Along the way I stopped at a number of places. The first was Clonmacnoise, highly recommended in the guidebook and one of the most famous abbeys in Ireland. That said, I was underwhelmed. The crosses in the museum were very good, but the building itself was unexciting. The next stop was Birr, where in the 1800s the local lord decided to build what was then the world's largest telescope

and installed it in such a way that it could only look at whatever was straight in front of it.

From there, I stopped at Cashel to see the castle there. This is one of the best castles in all of Ireland and has a great view over the surrounding countryside.


Then, to the airport and back to Holland.

The rest of the pics are, as usual, here.


Random story from trip.
Old Guy: Ticket please.
Me: Here you go.
Old Guy: So where are you from?
Me: Right now I'm living in The Hague.
Old Guy: Bless you my son.
Me: Ah, so you've been there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home