26 June 2006

Sneek-y

Went on two outings this weekend. The first was to a sail-thru vegetable auction musuem north of Alkmaar. This included a boat ride. The tour was in dutch and with my keen language skills all I was able to glean was that sailors used to leave bits of rope dangling over the side of the ship to wipe themselves with (I kid you not). Needless to say this was not terribly helpful information. While interesting in it's own way, note the lack of pictures.

For outing number two (aka, the Tour de IJsselmeer) I ventured up to Sneek. Having heard so many people speak positively of the place, I figured I'd give it a go. When I arrived, it was raining and the streets were deserted. Let me clarify that, deserted. So I drove through town and back out and heading to an alternate destination. I wound up at an old steam powered water pumping station. This, in fact, was quite interesting as it was all in working condition and there was much interesting mechanical things to look at. Pictures of this are here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home