02 June 2006

Long weekend

This past long weekend I went to Trier since I had nothing better to do. When you do things at the spur of the moment, sometimes they cost extra. This was the view out of my window:

As you might be guessing from the picture, it rained most of the time. I went and saw all the roman sights I saw a long time ago. One afternoon I drove down the Saar valley in search of some nice twisty roads, but found most of the really interesting-looking ones were private. Sadly, I was often halfway up a vineyard when I would figure this out, leaving me to back down the mountain. I ended up in Saarburg and decided to stop and have a strudel. For those of you not knowing Saarburg, it's a curious town. One day, hundreds of years ago, someone found a waterfall. Then he said, I know, I'll build a town around it. And so there you have it. A perfectly normal town, except with a big ravine and waterfall right where main street should be.

On the way back I finally managed to get some dry autobahn, but with construction I couldn't keep at cruising speed for too long. Along the way I stopped off at another relic of my past, Burg Eltz. For a place that hasn't changed much in the last 800yrs, it hasn't changed much in the last 15 either. It was still a good castle and this time I got to spend the tour with a hoarde of 13yo english girls.

Something about Germany suits me, and still coming home to the Netherlands felt good. The only thing I haven't understood is, what the hell is up with all the giant gummy bears?


You can find the rest of the pictures from the trip here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home