29 August 2009

Iceland: Day 9

This was another longish day with a number of places to see. First, I started off by seeing an reconstructed house from the early days of Iceland. It was quite interesting to see, but the doorways and passageways were very low and I banged my head a number of times.
From Thjorsardalur & Landmannalaugar


After that, I visited a small valley with a number of waterfalls and streams. It was a bit hard to get to as the road was somewhat rocky and merged with a streambed for a while, but I think it was worth it.
From Thjorsardalur & Landmannalaugar
Unfortunately, I could not get to all the point from which I wanted to take pictures because there was no way to cross the stream.

From there I went to Landmannalaugar to see the scenery there. To get there, you drive for miles and miles across a barren landscape. You begin to wonder just what kind of place you are going to.
From Thjorsardalur & Landmannalaugar
It turns out you are going to a very nice (and quite popular) place with lakes, mountains, and hiking trails.
From Thjorsardalur & Landmannalaugar
From Thjorsardalur & Landmannalaugar
After I returned, I realized that there was actually much more to see than the parts I had visited. I suppose that leaves something for the next trip.

From there, it was a long drive back to the hotel. Along the way I decided to make a quick stop off at Hekla.
From Thjorsardalur & Landmannalaugar
In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have. It was on my list as a place to hike, but I decided to do the rest of the day's activities rather than spend all day hiking up a mountain. I drove up the mountain as far as the road would go, which involved some pretty severe patches of road, and some very very steep sections. Combining that with being at the end of the day (and thus feeling a bit rushed) and having the sun in your eyes the whole way up so you can't see where you are going or take pictures meant I didn't really enjoy the time there. I should have settled for a picture from afar and saved it for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home