26 July 2009

French Alps: Day 2

So far on this trip, everyday has gone pretty much to plan. This day, did not. I only got through about half of what I planned to see (which in retrospect was probably too ambitious an amount). The reason is that I was driving along and saw this
From Vanoise National Park
a big fort right alongside the road. And I looked up and saw this
From Vanoise National Park
Another fort above it (and two more above it).
From Vanoise National Park
Well, the whole point of trips like this is to take time to discover stuff you weren't expecting, and this certainly qualified. There was no path to walk up to the upper fort (that I could find), so I had to figure out how to get to it. Fortunately, there was a road that could get me there. When I tried it, I got halfway and came to a construction sign saying road closed. There was no road, no ground, just a chasm where the next 100ft of road should have been. I guess that qualifies as closed. Strangely, there were no detour signs, so it took me a while to find my way up to the fort. From there, I saw another road leading even higher up into the mountains. I'm not the sort of person to not try to figure out where a road like that goes. The road went to here
From Vanoise National Park
Not a bad little detour. But, all of this had left me serious behind schedule.

Next stop would be Val d'Isère, but first I would need to get up the pass
From Vanoise National Park
From Vanoise National Park


Once in Val d'Isère, I took the cable car up to the top of the mountain for a good view. Rudely, the cable car stops a little ways below the absolute peak, so I had a very steep and tiring little climb in the thin air to get to the top. But, it was worth it.
From Vanoise National Park


The plan was then to go to Tignes and take the funicular and cable car up to the mountain and glacier there. But, by the time I had arrived it had closed. The cable cars all seem to close at about 4pm, even though there's two hours or more of decent light left at this time of year. Thwarted, I headed back to the hotel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home