24 July 2009

Jax and the Tour de France

While going to the Tour de France wasn't originally on my plan for this trip, once I found out that it would be passing nearby, I decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity to say that I had seen it. Not knowing what to expect in terms of crowds or closed roads, I found an obscure spot along the route that could be reached by a long series of backroads that probably few people would know about. The plan worked to perfection and I was able to park in a shady orchard a few yards from the course and with only about 20 other people around.

The first thing that happens when the Tour is coming is that about an hour and a half before the riders come through, the caravan as they call it comes by. This is basically a big parade made up of advertizers' vehicles that goes to the start and finish towns (and probably stops for a little bit at the bigger towns along the route). This was by far the best part of the day and took me by complete surprize. It is a lot like watching a parade. The cars and trucks are painted up and modified to look like things, there are girls waving and throwing little bags of candy and things.
From Tour de France

The difference is that they are driving by at 80 km/h and passing each other while doing all this.
From Tour de France

It was a riot and, because I was in a spot with so few people, I got a ton of goodies as they got thrown out.

After a while, more cars came by and we could tell that the first riders were close. There was a pretty big breakaway group.
From Tour de France


A few minutes after that, the peloton arrived.
From Tour de France


I managed to snap a picture with Alberto Contador and Lance Armstrong next to each other. The picture isn't that good, but it's still cool.
From Tour de France



And, as fast as it had started, it was done. The first riders were by in a flash, and the peloton was past in just a few seconds, off down the road.
From Tour de France


I had expected that this would be one of those things where you do it to say you've done it and then never feel the need to do it again. In fact, if I got the chance to see it again, I would do it, though I might skip the actual race next time.

2 Comments:

At 4:53 am, Blogger Diana said...

You like getting free things don't ya?

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

Hmm, well if it was such a high-speed parade, wouldn't those little bags of free candy turn into lethal projectiles? Sounds dangerous to me. Sounds like baseball - the actual game is so boring to watch, they have to add in extra things (like t-shirt cannons) to make it interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home