10 April 2008

A week in Heidelberg

Regular readers will no doubt notice that this post has been back-dated a month. Yes, I have been that bad lately. Between work, being away for work and just being away, I've fallen dreadfully behind in updating the blog. Hopefully I can fix most of that this weekend.

So, way back when, I had a weeklong meeting in Heidelberg. It's a city I've been to many times before, and one that I quite like. Having a full weekend and a travel day to myself down there gave me a chance to see a lot of things that had been on my list, but not high enough up that I would have gotten to them otherwise.

Most of the trip was spent in Rhineland-Pfalz and Baden-Wurttemburg, but there was a tiny sliver of things that were just across into Bavaria. The first day was spent just doing a scenic drive down to Heidelberg. About 2/3rds the way there, I got off the autobahn and took to the back roads. Not so many pictures from this part of the trip, but it was pleasant and relaxing.


The next day was basically a big loop to a lot of little things around Heidelberg. First to Mannheim, and Worms, of the Diet of Worms fame. There's not much to see there anymore, but at least you can say you stood where Luther did when he was hauled before the Diet. From there, to a few mountain top castles, a couple of palaces, and a monastery.



And lastly, I found some time to go to the museum at the Hockenheimring. It's a decent museum, but was much more focused on motorcycles than I expected. That said, it had a number of very interesting motorcycles on display.


The rest of the time in Heidelberg was spent working. It was a little isolating to be there with 20 dutch guys all speaking dutch to eachother, but I did get to go out to Zum Roten Ochsen for dinner, so I can tick that off my list.

The links to the pictures can be found hereand here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home