17 July 2007

Weekend in Munich

I had a meeting in Munich and so I decided to drive down so that I'd be closer for my upcoming adventure to Switzerland. What I had not expected was the amount of traffic on a Saturday in Germany. I got to Bavaria quickly enough, but as soon as I crossed the Main, traffic came to a crawl. I tried detouring off the autobahn a few kms, but when I got back on, I was next to the same cars as before. Eventually I ended up detouring onto a different autobahn. When I came across the sign for Bad Windsheim with my hopes for lunch in Munich already in ruins, I figured I had no choice but to get off and visit my old town.
It was a nice and unexpected little diversion, but I wasn't able to find my old house due imperfect memory.

Next onto Munich. I spent a very hot afternoon touring the centre and saw the major sites there.


Then did Schloss Nymphenburg (mostly under renovation), the Residenz, the modern musuem (not as exiciting as advertised) and the Bavarian National Museum. Here is a swan.

Along the way, I managed to get yelled at by an old man for harming the environment by not switching my car off while stopped to look at a map.

The best part though was the long evenings spent in the biergarten enjoying the warm summer weather.

2 Comments:

At 9:57 pm, Blogger RangerSarah said...

I'm not a bird expert, but that doesn't really look like a swan.

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger Jax said...

Pic fixed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home