07 December 2006

Weihnachtsmarkt

This past weekend a few of us went across the border to Aachen to see the Weihnachtsmarkt there. It was so great. The Germans do Christmas right, there's nothing else you can say. I'd forgotten just how much I liked Christmas in Germany. Everything just feels special there this time of year. They really seem to go all out without making it feel commercialized. It really puts you in the Christmas mood. And, it was just what was needed for a break from Holland. There was so much food: giant bratwursts, flammkuchen, printen, potato pancakes with applesauce, gluhwein. Ah, it was so great. We all ate so much. The stalls were really good too; there were lots of handmade arts & crafts for sale and so I loaded up on a ton of stuff for gifts. I think people probably wondered what was wrong with me that I was buying so much stuff. But, I've pretty much been looking all year to find handmade or traditional things to get people for gifts (instead of mass produced junk), but after 8 months, these were the first I'd found. While you're in Aachen, you should definitely make a point of seeing the cathedral, Charlemagne is buried there after all and the decorations are amazing. Anyway, it was a great time and I hope we make it into an annual tradition.


And the photogallery can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home