05 October 2006

Sweaty, Smelly People

The morning after a sleepless night of sweating greeted me with the promise of a nice refreshing shower. This is where things went bad. The shower head produced only a trickle of water. This meant that soap did not wash off easily and that most of the washing effect was lost. It really sucks to stand under the shower and have to wait a while to sorta get wet. I complained about this at checkout thinking a discount was in order, they did not seem to care. I spent the whole time thinking about the $8/night hotel I had in Russia that was also lost in time, but clean, roomy, and reasonably well appointed.

The Rome metro is also something of an experience. It is extremely hot and extremely crowded. By the end of the ride you are soaked in sweat and quite smelly. The sweatiness has it's advantages on the metro as it helps lubricate the passengers as they try to force their way on and off the train. I had been feeling self-conscious about being a little smelly from the poor shower in the morning, but riding on the metro I decided I wasn't so bad off compared to the odiforus passengers around me. Another thing noticed on the metro, Italian girls are really quite attractive, but it's kinda off-putting when a girl reaches up to grab the hand rail to reveal a very hairy, sweaty underarm.

My new hotel for the remainder of the stay is not the ritzy place that people said it was. It is however, half the price, clean and simple, and a normal temperature. And, more interestingly, it has the cheapest minibar I've ever seen. A normal sized can of coke costs pretty much what I would expect to pay at the corner store. So, no complaints from me.

1 Comments:

At 5:00 am, Blogger Sarah said...

At least you had hot water - when I was in Rome the shower was freezing. I'd take a hot trickle over that. Also at the hotel, where we arrived at 6am after not sleeping on the train due to some skeevy Italian men, they showed us to a room, and then after we fell asleep woke us up and told us to move, even though there was no one else in the hostel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home