27 January 2008

Toledo & Burns

This week I had to may a quick overnight trip to Toledo. I can say that Iberia is not one of my favorite airlines after I learned that they charge for water on 2.5 hour flights. Not providing water irked me a little. Toledo seemed nice, though I didn't actually get to see much of the city. It's set up on top of hills and has a several large historic buildings. My meeting was held in what seemed to be a military academy and around 11am a drum beat started and continued for the next several hours. The students had clearly not done something well and were being punished by hours of marching and being shouted at. My GPS did not serve me well either as the maps in it seemed to date from the Franco era. I had to drive to and from the airport in Madrid, and the traffic in Madrid can be terrible. Likewise, the road signs are terrible, making it hard to get around. But, it's good I learned because I'll be back in Madrid soon and I'll know better what to expect.

The second item this week was Burns Night. One my friends from work decided to organize a Burns Night, a Scottish semi-holiday involving haggis, scotch, and reading Burns. He had freshly caught Haggis (clockwise Haggis naturally) flown down from Scotland, and an admirable collection of Scotch. It was a fun night, so until next year.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

Did you read Burns in really overdone Scottish accents? Cause that's the only way...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home