08 April 2007

Easter Sunday: I become an esquiador

Day 4 was devoted entirely to skiing in Andorra at the Grandvalira ski area. The spanish word for skier is esquiador. I think that's a much cooler word, sounds kinda like matador. Just after buying my lift pass, a guy along the street asked me to help him get his car unstuck. He was strangely insistant that his gf could not drive the car while he pushed because she didn't have a license. I don't think unsticking a car really counts as driving. Anyhow, he was on an upslope, on ice, with summer tires, so it was a pretty much hopeless case. And it's really hard to try to explain in french that you shouldn't just floor it and spin the wheels. Finally, a local got behind the wheel and a couple of other guys came along and we pushed and pushed and got him out. So, good deed done for the day. The weather was really nice for skiing, though a little warm. Bright sunshine all day long and just above freezing. The snow quality wasn't the greatest, but there wasn't any ice or bare spots. In the morning, the snow was kinda frozen, and by the afternoon it was getting really soft and lumpy. It was hard (for me) to go fast because of the inconsistency of the softening snow. Like any ski resort, prices were outrageous. I must have spent 15euro on powerade for the day. But, I think I'm not really up to a full day of skiing. After about two runs, my legs started feeling tired. They got better, but by the time of the last few runs of the day I was pretty beat. Ended the day with sore muscles and an early bed time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home